Depression affects 1 in 5 adults at some point in their lives. Symptoms include a lack of interest in things going on around you, feeling tired all the time yet not sleeping well, loss of appetite and weight and finding it difficult to make decisions and deal with everyday situations.
Some of the options available to support you through this difficult time include:
- Talk about your feelings. This could be with a loved one, a close friend or a counsellor
- Speak to your GP about the possibility of using antidepressants
- Speak to your Pharmacist about the possibility of using St John's Wort, a herbal remedy that can help relieve some of the symptoms of depression.
- Exercising makes the body release certain chemicals, which affect your mood and make you feel happier
- Try not to drink alcohol as this is a depressant. Eat plenty of fruit and vegetables
Stress has become more commonplace over the years. Symptoms can include headaches, stomach upsets, sleep problems, obesity and high blood pressure, which can lead to more serious conditions such as heart disease. It can also cause feelings of anger, agitation, anxiety and short temperedness.
The best way to deal with stress is to try one or more of the following:
- Manage your time effectively. Decide what is important to you and make that a priority.
- Take time for yourself. Have a relaxing massage, go for a walk, have a relaxing bath, do something that makes you laugh!
More info: Erectile Dysfunction