Healthy Heart Service
Our service will measure your blood pressure and level of cholesterol to calculate your risk of heart related conditions. We will discuss with you what actions you can take to improve and control these two aspects of your health, signposting you to our other services that will support you.
How does it work?
The Alphega Pharmacy Healthy Heart Service is conducted by trained members of the pharmacy team, in our private consultation area and includes:
A discussion about your lifestyle, such as your diet and how much exercise you take
Taking your blood pressure
Measuring your cholesterol level by using a small droplet of blood taken from your finger
Calculating your risk of developing CVD
Completing an action plan to help reduce your risk which may include referring you to your GP
The consultation should last around 30 minutes and is available to all customers except pregnant women, those suffering from blood pressure or are already receiving treatment for high cholesterol levels). For other exclusion criteria consult your pharmacist.
Before you attend your Healthy Heart Service appointment, there are a few things you need to do:
- You should not eat or drink any food for 12 hours before your appointment (this includes milk in a cup of tea or coffee). You can drink water. This will help provide an accurate reading for your cholesterol measurement
- Wear a short sleeved T-shirt or a top, which can be removed easily. This will mean that your blood pressure can be easily taken
- Avoid smoking or exercising for at least 30 minutes before your appointment.
This will help provide an accurate reading for your blood pressure.
- NHS Electronic Prescription Service
- Prescription Delivery Service
- Repeat Prescription Service
- Allergy Screening Service
- Asthma Check Service
- Blood Pressure Check Service
- Children's Health Service
- Diabetes Risk Awareness Service
- Dispensing for Care Homes
- Drink Awareness Service
- Drug User Services
- Emergency Contraception Service
- Flu Vaccination Service
- Healthcare, Medicines and Pain Advice
- Healthy Heart Service
- Local & Specific NHS Services
- Medicines Use Review Service (England and Wales only)
- Men's Health Service
- Minor Ailments Service (Scotland only)
- Mole Screening Service
- Monitored Dosage Systems
- Out of Hours Pharmacy Services
- New Medicine Service (England only)
- Stoma Service
- Stop Smoking Service
- Weight Loss Support Service