Minor Ailments Service (Scotland only)
The Minor Aliments Service (MAS) is a scheme available in Scotland, which allows you to use your pharmacy to get advice and treatments for common illnesses such as coughs, colds, pains and hay fever free on the NHS.
How can we help?
Your Pharmacist can provide you with advice on treating these common conditions and, if necessary, prescribe over the counter medicines free of charge. In addition, if your Pharmacist feels it is appropriate then they will refer you to a GP or another healthcare professional.
What are the benefits?
This service means that you will not have to wait to see your GP just to get advice or treatment for minor illnesses. This service also means that you are more likely to be able to see your GP quickly for more serious medical conditions.
Are you eligible for the service?
The service is available to patients who are registered with a GP in Scotland and who are in one of the following categories:
- People aged 60 or over
- People who hold a medical exemption certificate
- People on certain benefits
The service is not available to those living in care homes or to people who are only
Which minor aliments can my Pharmacist prescribe medication for?
Once registered you will be able to receive advice and medication for a wide range of common aliments including:
- Period pain
- Travel sickness
- Hay fever
- Mouth ulcers
- Cold sores
- Head lice
You can find the nearest Alphega Pharmacy providing the Minor Aliments Service by using the Pharmacy Locator.
- NHS Electronic Prescription Service
- Prescription Delivery Service
- Repeat Prescription Service
- Allergy Screening Service
- Asthma Check Service
- Blood Pressure Check Service
- Diabetes Risk Awareness Service
- Dispensing for Care Homes
- Drink Awareness Service
- Drug User Services
- Emergency Contraception Service
- Flu Vaccination Service
- Healthcare, Medicines and Pain Advice
- Healthy Heart Service
- Local & Specific NHS Services
- Medicines Use Review Service (England and Wales only)
- Minor Ailments Service (Scotland only)
- Mole Screening Service
- Monitored Dosage Systems
- Out of Hours Pharmacy Services
- New Medicine Service (England only)
- Stoma Service
- Stop Smoking Service
- Weight Loss Support Service